Sunday, October 11, 2015

Fiorina and Rubio gain support after GOP debate

Nicholas Fest
Staff Writer

After the second GOP debate on September 16, 2015, for which 11 of the 14 candidates earned a spot on the stage for, two contenders emerged as leaders in the polls.
  One of the breakout stars of the debate was Carly Fiorina. She moved up the ranks to second place behind Donald Trump in the polls after the debate. Something that caught the attention of millions of people watching was Fiorina’s statement that, "[Planned Parenthood] is about the character of our nation and if we will not stand up and force President Obama to veto this bill, shame on us.” Fiorina is saying that we Americans have to take charge and let Obama know what we want him to know.
  Another debater who gained support was Marco Rubio. He proved that he can compete in this elite level. "You're right, I have missed some votes, Rubio said. “Because in my years in the Senate, I've figured out very quickly that the political establishment in Washington, D.C. in both political parties is completely out of touch with the lives of our people.”
  "That's why I'm missing votes. Because I am leaving the Senate, I'm not running for re-election, and I'm running for president because I know this: unless we have the right president, we cannot make America fulfill its potential." Rubio says he can help America reach its full potential and make “the 21st century the greatest era that our nation has ever known.”
  Both candidates have seen their poll numbers go up after the  second debate.